Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ada PAINTIN (nee CHAPMAN)


Harry and Ada c1940
Ada in 1921
Ada Blanche CHAPMAN was my nan Emma's older sister. Born in Stow Bardolph, Norfolk in 1889. She moved to London in her teens and married Harry PAINTIN in 1928. They ran this sweet shop together, on Prince of Wales Rd. I don't think I ever got to meet her despite the fact that, in my research, I found she'd lived until 1975. What I know about her is through the wonderful chocolatey presents we received from her as children. Big eggs at Easter which filled the piano top in the front room for a week before Easter. Then huge selection boxes under the tree at Christmas. Harry died in 1943. He was quite a lot older than her.
Ada c 1958

 I believe this little snapshot is also of her, just labelled 'Ada' in my mum's album. It's cropped from a group scene taken on Hunstanton beach.Very happy childhood memories of a great aunt who I never met.


2 comments:

SheilaMatilda said...

Yummy chocolaty memories. Every child's dream to have sweet shop in the family ;-)

Sheila Pratt said...

This is so charming, Sis! I LOVE what you are doing here. xooxox