Saturday, February 18, 2012

Red Cross Nurses in London during WW1


I've been writing about Ada this week. She was my grandad's sister, so my great aunt. This is a photograph that I found amongst my mum's albums. It's of Red Cross nurses during WW1, at least that's what I've been told. Now if Ada was 17 in 1919, then she must be about 15 or 16 here. Can you see her? She's in the front row on the extreme left. I think is is a beautiful sepia photo. When I scanned it and zoomed in, I realised that Ada was not the only one from my family here. In the back row is Ada's sister Lilian. She's the fouth from the left. And, on her right(third from left as you look at the photo) is Nell CHAPMAN, my nanna Emma's sister. I would love to know more about the background to this picture. I am slightly obsessed with Ada, mainly because she died at such a young age, just after her 21st birthday (as I related yesterday). She was very spirited. I'd like to feel I may have inherited something of that.

1 comment:

Ginny2cats said...

What a world they went into. How brave they were. I feel a book coming on !