Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Fanny SHILCOCK- my great grandmother

Fanny
March is almost here and it being National Women's History month is a good time for me to tell you about my great grandma. I've already told you about her errant husband Harry here. She was born in Bourne, Lincs, in 1877, one of six daughters to the publican of the Nag's Head who I wrote about yesterday. I've found her on the 1881 and 1891 census living at home in the pub. And then at some point before 1896 she moved down to London and met Harry. She was 4 months pregnant when they married in November 1896.

In 1901 Harry and Fanny were living in Croydon, with two daughters Fanny and Joyce. A son was born in August of the same year. Fanny and Harry appear to have parted company in the early years of the new century. I have yet to discover whether they divorced. So there she was, on her own, with three young children. She must have been made of strong stuff.  In 1911, her 2 daughters Joyce and Ida were to be found back home in Bourne.This may be her in 1911. Her 9 year old son Philip is a boarder with a family in Camberwell.

Philip's wedding



I don't know how much help her family were, being such a distance away. I'd like to think there were several visits each year.She sent flowers when her father died in 1927, but didn't attend the funeral. Her mother lived on for another ten years. I do know that son Philip stayed with his mother until her death in 1950. He then married Hilda Goodman in 1958 and they moved out of London.


Joyce on left







Her daughter Joyce was my grandmother, and I'll write about her soon. She's the one on the left of this photo, crouching down.

1 comment:

Sheila Pratt said...

You certainly come from good, strong female stock, Sis. xoxoox