Wednesday, March 14, 2012

and the rest of the Norfolk pubs-so far!!

For the last few days I've been hooked onto a pub thing. Having realised just how many people on my family tree were licensees gave me pause. In fact, the list doesn't end there with yesterday's in Wimbotsham. Here's the full roll call. Many thanks to the wonderful Norfolk Pub website for confirming census data.




The Red Hart in Crimplesham.
Licensee: Joseph HARPLEY 1861-1869.

Closed 30 Sep 1957.








The Carpenters' Arms in Denver.
Licensees: James and Sarah WATTS (nee JARROD) 1871-1879.

Closed in 1980s.






The White Hart, Downham Market.
Licensee:  Noah TURVEY 1896-1904.

Still open.








And a reminder of the ones I've already blogged about:





The Foldgate Inn, Stradsett.
Licensees: Arthur ADDERSON 1896, William ADDERSON 1900-1904, Mrs Sarah ADDERSON 1908-1912.

Still open.





The Chequers, Wimbotsham.
Licensee: Albert (Ben) CATCHPOLE 1948-1955

Still open.







The Rose and Crown, Hilgay.
Licensee: Alfred BRUCE 1900-1904

Still open.









Now for outside of Norfolk . No, I'll leave that for another day.  BUT  you do all remember the one mentioned here don't you?

6 comments:

SheilaMatilda said...

OK when do we go on the pub crawl?

fengirl said...

Whenever you want!

fengirl said...

In fact all of these pubs are in a 5 mile radius.

Eric said...

I think I got to see the Rose and Crown (or one toward the centerof town) when I drove through Hilgay. Had some Dungays there and a few others. Nice to hear the Bruces were there!
I missed the Carpenter Arms in Denver, or at least I don't recall it. Where is it located--Downham Road, or closer to the Mill?

Eric said...

I think I got to see the Rose and Crown (or one toward the centerof town) when I drove through Hilgay. Had some Dungays there and a few others. Nice to hear the Bruces were there!
I missed the Carpenter Arms in Denver, or at least I don't recall it. Where is it located--Downham Road, or closer to the Mill?

fengirl said...

Eric, it's on the way to the mill, on the right hand side as you go down Sluice Rd.